Thursday, June 01, 2006

To eat, to cook, to write: About Me

If I was a dinosaur, I'd be a Foodasaurus! I am a chef in Portland, OR, by way of San Fransisco and Napa. I have worked in fine restaurants and resorts and would like to share my 'insiders' opinion on the food we eat and the service we receive.

I am not a critic, but a food writer. I would rather be the next Jeffrey Steingarden than the next Ducasse or Bauer. Food is the most basic of cultural color and can be discussed by anyone, anytime. I am not a 'foodie.' I find that nomenclature to be pretentious. Every human on the earth knows what tastes good, to them. I am anit-foodie. I don't want people to buy organic lettuce because it's 'hot,' or to dine out to 'be seen.' People should buy organic if they feel that it is more flavorful or support sustainable farming, not to keep up with the Jones at Whole Foods by buying the most expensive tomatoes. Dining out is to enjoy a meal, with or without company, and to leave satisifed. No feelings of wasted money or guilt should accompany of great meal. I look forward to sharing my experiences and thoughts with the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Juan, I'll look here for good recepies throughout the summer. Good blog. I can't cook, but I am trying.

1:29 PM  
Blogger Maria Teresa Resto-Ropic said...

Juan I love all your recipes and ideas on food. It is universal and what colors our cultural backgrounds. You are on the money on experiencing food whether "fine dining" or just catching a simple bite. I look forward to more recipes, especially soups as the weather starts to cool. You are an awesome writer, use your skills and knowledge.
Momma in NC

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home